Tuesday, August 23, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Where Have You Been, Rita Coolidge?

Ah, those long ago days when one's wishes were simple. In 1977, the ONLY thing I wanted for Christmas was a copy of Rita Coolidge's Anytime, Anywhere LP. In fact, I was so adamant about it, that I told EVERYONE. And one of my life's mottos was proven to be true: persistence pays off...I received four copies of the thing. So that may have been overkill, but it was and remains an extraordinary piece of music.

So, Ms. Coolidge has come through yet again with an absolutely killer jazz/torch song CD called And So Is Love. And I loved this immediately. It is impeccably produced, her voice is just smoky enough for me, clear and rich. The arrangements are sublime and all in all, this one is in the running for best CD of the year in my book.

Rita covers one of my favorite tunes, one filled with great meaning for me, I Thought About You, and she does a wonderful Come Rain or Come Shine, Cry Me A River, and a truly lovely bossa nova Estaté, featuring guest artist Herb Alpert.

Thank you again, Rita, for a memorable listening experience.

No comments: