Saturday, July 16, 2005

Girls Night Out

After work today, Heather and I met up with "Kitty Griffing" and "Tin-Ten" for a dual celebration - to celebrate two birthdays and to see the wonderful Christine Lavin (who is neither and ex-nun nor an ex- cafeteria lady) in concert at Nighttown.

This is the third time I've seen Ms. Lavin. The first time was with the "Babes" at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, and the second time was at St. John's Pub in Portland. At the Portland show, Christine sat out in the lobby and was giving people free "sparkle" manicures prior to the show. I read on her website that her new thing is to have a knitting circle before the show. Since Nighttown serves a killer prime rib, I was not out in the lobby, but I don't think she was knitting in Cleveland, although she mentioned stopping by a local knitting store, Fine Points, earlier in the day and spending $300.

We had terrific front row seats, and Christine was magnificent as always. We laughed through the whole show. She opened with a new song called "Windchimes" which starts out like the very worst hippy folk song you ever heard and ends up with three sets of windchimes hanging off the headstock of her guitar...before she removes them and starts pitching them off the stage. She did an excellent "Sensitive New-Age Guys", "Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind," and "What Was I Thinking?" and although I told her I was hoping for the epic "Shopping Cart of Love", Christine said that she didn't remember it - I will forgive her since the thing is 15 minutes long. But she gave out two recipes ( french toast bread pudding and petit pan au chocolat - which takes 10 hours to prepare). And she closed the show with her wonderful glow-in-the-dark baton twirling extravaganza. Gotta love that. Absolutely a wonderful show.

I picked up her live DVD, Girl UN Interrupted, so I can show everyone the great baton work at my leisure.

No comments: