Thursday, July 07, 2005

Here's To You, Mr. Scopes!

One of my proudest achivements at my job is the little sign in the produce department.

Right next to where we sell organic bananas, we have a rope hanging from the ceiling, with a fiberglass chimpanzee clinging to it. At the bottom of the ropeI tied a small, wooden sign that says:

Mr. Scopes Organic Bananas - 29 cents each

Every time I pass it, it makes me grin. I was afraid some customer would complain and it would have to come down, but the reality is that probably no one else has ever even noticed it, and it has survived for almost two years now.

I bring this up because today while I was driving home, listening to NPR, I realized that is the 80th anniversary of the Scopes Monkey Trial. I called the store and asked them to put a little crown, or a lei or something on our own Mr. Scopes. He looks mighty good for his age.

No comments: