Tuesday, July 19, 2005

New Music Tuesday - Carly Simon

Today's review is for my Penpal, who has been a fan of Carly Simon since we met in the glorious 80's.

Awhile ago, I sat down to try to figure out my favorite song of all time. For the moment, the winner is the Flamingo's I Only Have Eyes For You.

So I picked up Carly Simon's new CD, Moonlight Serenade, because she does that song, and a bunch of other standards. Happily for me, my favorite track is I Only Have Eyes For You.

The CD is nicely done, and Carly's voice is pleasant. There are no surprises here. It is a lovely little mood piece, great background music for a quiet dinner with someone special, a bottle of wine...that sort of thing. Nothing dramatic, not overly produced, no heavy string arrangements, but nothing truly moving either.

This has been released as a traditional CD (which is what I got) and a dual disc with a DVD, for the more rabid fan out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh please.

If you like the old torch songs, and I do, very much, stick with Diana Krall.

Carly's versions lack emotion and importantly, sex appeal.

If you play this during an intimate candlelit dinner you certainly won't offend anyone, but you won't get a slow burn going either. I give it a 2 on the tingle-meter.

Knowing personally that your music collection is packed with hi-octane slink, I'm surprised this album got a mention.

L.