Friday, January 13, 2006

Not Such Bad Luck -or- This Is To Go, Please

For one of our bovine friends, this Friday the 13th was all about good luck.

Seems that Molly the heifer escaped from the slaughterhouse and ran through town and even crossed the Missouri River and THEN she refused to be subdued by three tranquilizer darts.

She has been granted immunity, and gets to live out her life either in an sanctuary in Washington state, or on pastureland near the plant in Montana. I am rooting for Washington. It has to be more relaxing than being near the plant after all. She made the break, I think that deserves a change of scenery.

"I've been around cattle all my life, and it's just totally amazing," Del Morris, the plant manager, said, adding that it is a rare cow that escapes slaughter. "I watched her do things that are just not possible for a cow."

Sadly, Mr. Morris does not really illuminate what those things are, but it did conjure up a fair number of humorous tableaux in my mind.

No comments: