Friday, January 13, 2006

Vacation - Day One

Scout had to work today, which meant I spent the morning drinking coffee and reading the NYT, a fairly perfect way to begin a vacation.

When she was finally turned loose, she came by and we went out for a quick brunch at Hershel’s Deli. They have the most eye-popping cakes - they are at least six inches tall! Amazing.

After our meal we stopped into the Trader Joe's across the street and browsed. I am a huge fan of their dehydrated pineapple. I have to point this out because as I rule I don't like pineapple or dried fruit. Yet I can't get enough of the stuff, and I had finished my last bag on the flight out.

It was time for a little bit of walking and exploring, so Scout took me to the Cedros Design District. We had a great time just poking around and looking at stuff. Scout admired a truly lovely chambered nautilus shell at one of the shops, which miraculously appeared on her end table later that evening...

We ordered dinner from a local delivery place, and settled in to watch some TV. Scout had thoughtfully recorded Lackawanna Blues and Prince of Tides on her DVR.

I really liked Lackawanna. And S. Epatha Merkerson was utterly magnificent, a fact readily apparent to anyway since her days as Reba the Mail Lady on Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

As for my darling Barbra, she was still stunning. And how in the world did she get that performance from Nolte and George Carlin? I read the novel after seeing the film, and I was very impressed - in my opinion her treatment is much better. She pared it down to the essentials, and kept it more focused, yet treated it with compassion and didn't shy away from pain. And there are a few good shots of those legs of hers in power suits. See it again.

No comments: