Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Vacation Theory

Some folks say that a vacation is only a vacation if it meets certain criteria. Mr. Beauregard Van Horne illuminates that a vacation must involve:

1. not setting an alarm clock
2. not wearing shoes
3. not wearing underwear
4. not shaving

So I have been torn between feeling like this is a vacation, in that one must "do" and explore and see, and a visit. These long distance things are tricky, after all.

Well, today was the day to have Beau's kind of vacation. A lazy day of sleeping, eating, napping, and general sloth. I must confess that at some point showering and shaving was involved, and underwear was worn. Sorry, dude.

To take advantage of Scout's outrageous AV set-up, I had picked up some IMAX movies. We watched India: Kingdom Of The Tiger (I love tigers) based on the fascinating work of early conservationist Jim Corbett, and she had one on Alaska (Spirit Of The Wild) that was great.

Then it was dinner time, and we were having my new favorite meal, which I swear I could more than happily have everyday: foccacia bread in a homemade balsamic dipping sauce, the Glorious Salad (gorgonzola, pepitas and greens with a balsamic dressing) and spaghetti with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, and a good red wine, of course.

For our after dinner entertainment, Scout got Just Cause, a thriller starring Sean Connery. It was a light, entertaining film, and I was stunned when I realized that the child, Sean's daughter was SCARLETT JOHANSSON! Wow. Intriguing plot, and a special appearance by TV's own Cowboy Curtis, Laurence Fishburne. The best part was the horrifically frightening, riveting performance by Ed Harris as a psycho killer. He was stunning.

No comments: