Friday, January 20, 2006

Extinction

Everyone knows that in our machine-age zeal, hundreds if not thousands of species of animals and plants disappear forever every day. But no one seems to acknowledge the slow demise of a way of life, of childhood familiarity and those simple comforting THINGS that we rely on to make sense of the world.

So. When was the last time you held or saw a flash cube? Do you even remember them? There are more distant from most people’s experience than TV’s without a remote.

At the same time you could purchase flashcubes in your local drugstore, 35mm film came in small metal containers with a screw-on lid. I remember everyday heading off to elementary school with one of my mom's film canisters in my pocket, screwed tight, holding my lunch money. I thought I was so cool with that little canister.

So it was with a heavy heart that I read the news of the second strike of the executioner this morning. On the 12th of January, Nikon (who made its first film camera in 1948) announced that it is going to stop making 5 of its seven film cameras and most lenses. Yes, my beloved and worshipped N70 will soon be a dinosaur (not to mention his geriatric older brother, the FE, and his European cousin, the Rollei).

To add insult to all of this nonsense, Konica Minolta jumped on the abandonment bandwagon yesterday and announced that it is stopping production of film and photographic paper by March 20th. Konica produced Japan's first photographic paper in 1903 and the country's first color film in 1940. So I suppose the 100 year run of photo paper should be something to be proud of, but it pains me to see the manual tools of creation and experience being replaced by voyeuristic screengazing.

Also by March (does this have something to do with the ides?) Konica Minolta said it would stop production of minilabs, the machines installed in photo shops and retail stores for developing and printing photos.

I am thinking that soon in places like Medieval Times and other recreated living environments you will be able to visit the glassblower and the blacksmith, and then stop by the photographer’s darkroom …

No comments: