Monday, June 26, 2006

Is It Hot In Here?

I had to leave for work at some unGodly, ridiculous hour, and Starbuck’s wasn’t even open yet, so I was forced to drive thru the local McDonald’s. While I was waiting, I noticed the license plate of the truck in front of me - the first three letters? DJV. Certainly an auspicious way to start the day.

So, work goes well, until 10 minutes before we are to open the door to the public, and the fire alarm goes off, and MyFriendJason and I evacuate our staff. Construction was under way across the road, and I had decided that the reason for the alarm was that they had cut the alarm line or something. I walked around our building and saw no signs of smoke or flames, and nothing untoward going on at our neighbors. So, I decided to throw caution to the wind and to go back into the building and call the fire department. But just then two giant ladder trucks showed up, laden with many hunky firemen. As MyFriendJason remarked, some stereotypes are, in fact, true.

Turns out that we had some faulty sensor in the ductwork, or so they say. The remainder of my workday was consumed with repairmen and firemen, which, now that I think about it, is the making of a great Penthouse letter

To celebrate the fact that I was not burned to a crisp, DJ V and I had a real date - dinner and a movie.

We dined at the Park City Diner (penne pasta with broccoli and chicken in a sundried tomato cream sauce for me, and the Knife and Fork Chili Dog - for DJ V) and then we went to see The Lake House.

Here is my review:

Sandra Bullock had a KILLER haircut (and car).

No really, it was a very intriguing movie, one that makes you think and analyze things. Fate and time and timing. Kinda deep. And a great soundtrack (although I have discovered that most of the vocal tracks are not to be found on the soundtrack CD - it is mostly the Rachel Portman score). And though I truly enjoyed the film, it felt that we had been watching this movie for about three days. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, looking at Sandra and all…

By the way, I still LOVE Valley View Cinema - great highback, reclining stadium seats, and the ingenious DJ V realized that the armrest between the seats could be raised out of the way, making it more of a loveseat-type situation.

So, we stay for the credits, both of us wanting to see the musical credits, and in particular, the “theme” song (This Never Happened Before)…and when the performer’s name scrolled up, both of us screamed a little in disbelief that we had kinda LIKED the song, and hadn’t recognized the singer - it was PAUL McCARTNEY. That made us want to claw our eyes out and we had to exit immediately.

We went back to DJ V’s place and decided to go out for drinks. I had no idea that walking through downtown Cleveland fairly late in evening is an opportunity for a wildlife safari. We saw yet another really creepy, big flying bug, AND, a fairly large sized rat that ran right in front of us and into the park. What fun!

So we get to the bar, where DJ V had previously done a reconnaissance mission and acertained that they had Knob Creek. DJ V had a couple of appletinis, and we were entertained with the antics of Will and Joy, a kind of African-American Will and Grace.

We stumbled back to DJ V’s place where I treated her to a massage, because she deserves my Personal Best.

No comments: