Sunday, March 27, 2005

36

H__ arrived at my house early this evening, and we settled in for a quiet night. Waiting for our dinner to arrive (spaghetti, garlic bread and salad), H__ did some magic with some yarn. In a matter of mere moments, she transformed small bits of thread into a magnificent scarf, to be draped over the sweater she was wearing. It was incredible to watch this process - so effortless and distinctly magical.

In the morning, we had a light breakfast of toast, coffee and my secret homemade smoothies, like civilized people - seated at the table. We then decided, after a few hours of conversation that we must get going. Some shopping, some Starbucks and then... apartment shopping!

We looked at three apartments, one being quite plausible. And while I was enamored of the largest place we looked at, the amenities of that one were less than stellar. But it did have the best light, and the grandest rooms. Now I have much to think about...

It was getting to be time for lunch, so we dropped into Cafe Limbo, a place which I had heard many good things about. And as it seems that H__ knows every person in Cleveland, of course we ran into a friend of hers at the cafe. Quite a lovely person. The lunch was great and the ambiance lived up to its reputation.

Next to the cafe is an art gallery that H__ used to work at, so we stopped in in the hopes that I could purchase a display stand for my glass marble from Sara. It is a fabulous gallery, and the people there are tremendously cool. There were many incredible works for sale, and it seems that my appreciation for textile arts is growing by association.

Then it was time for more shopping as H__ as in need of new shoes. I want the record to show that I demonstrated remarkable restraint as we passed a table full of Fossil watches at Nordstrom. Ah...so unrewarding to be good...but do not fear Faithful Readers, for I did not leave the mall empty handed, oh no. I found a charming little Chanel watch to take home.

We picked up some bourbon chicken to take home, then stopped into the bookstore. I picked up a copy of The Phantom Tollbooth for H__, and she picked up several beading magazines, and a great stuffed rabbit for her mother. While we were silently looking at magazines and drinking coffee in the cafe, H__ looked up and said that the day could only be better if there was time us to go back to her house to do art and then watch a movie. Sadly, we were not successful in generating any extra hours in the day. We had to make do with a quick meal, and then we had to turn in.

The next morning, I took H__ to the ubiquitous Mom's Diner for breakfast, and then it was time for me to return to my house.

It is hardly possible that we had spent 36 hours together. It genuinely seemed as if it was about 4 hours. It is a very rare thing, indeed, to be able to spend so much time with someone and not become bored, or uncomfortable or irritated.

What a great "weekend".

No comments: