Tuesday, March 22, 2005

New Music Tuesday – Patty Larkin : Perishable Fruit

This CD came out in 1997. I got it the day it was released, Patty Larkin being one of my top ten favorite musicians of all time.

I really did not like this CD all that much, except for the track Coming Up For Air.

Well, I mention this, and it is the NMT review today because of the fact that I can't stop listening to this CD. It is always in my car. I love each and every track. In fact, at this moment, it is very close to being my all-time favorite Patty Larkin CD.

On this disc, Larkin, as producer, has limited herself to stringed instruments, which is not to say the songs are without "percussion". She twangs and thumps a lot of stuff, and uses all sorts of guitars and mandolins to manufacture an expansive soundscape.

I guess you really have to be in the right place, or have lived through certain things to “get” some art. And this one is really speaking to me now.

No comments: