Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Main Event : Iceberg vs. Titanic – The Rematch !

Okay, maybe this is just me. Christo and and The Gates. Beautiful. I have no problem there. But when I read about Rita Duffy's artistic plan....I dunno, folks...

Seems Rita has the high-minded goal to “resurrect the peace process and self-confidence of Northern Ireland.” To this end, she wants to:

TOW AN ICEBERG TO BELFAST
Why? “To cool the simmering anger among the Protestants and Catholics.” Hmmmm..okay.
And... the iceberg would be a “symbol of regeneration” for Belfast she says. Well, I suppose given thousands and thousands of years, icebergs do regenerate, but mostly I think they break away and crash into the sea, and float around, and have far more below the surface than meets the eye. This is, I suppose, NOT the subtext she was shooting for.

My big issue with this scheme is that she wants to tow it to Belfast, the birthplace of the Titanic.
Seems to me that is REALLY rubbing salt in a wound.

“Hey Belfast! You know that great “unsinkable” ship all your men folk labored over building? Well, Mother Nature had a thing or two to say about THAT, didn't she? Well, here is a big, fat reminder of a castastrophic loss of human life that you were indirectly responsible for, right outside your door! A great, big, melting symbol of a disaster. Now let's “cool off” and talk about peace!”

Yeah. Alrighty then. You go, girl.

No comments: