Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Big Nasty Snowstorm

The afternoon turned very ugly very quickly and as we all know I have a long drive home. And, of course, I had to be at work at 3 in the morning. So when H__ suggested that I just spend the night at her place, it seemed like a grand idea. She had warned me that she was very much interested in taking a nap, and that she was not going to be too talkative, which was fine because I was really just interested in a horizontal surface to pass out on before getting up in the middle of the night.

The moment we entered the apartment, we started into long, detailed conversations about H__ 's artwork. It was incredibly interesting as I know nothing about textile art, or beading, but I can and do appreciate her master level of artistry and talent. Her sanctuary cum gallery (as the term apartment does not do the place justice) gives off waves of tranquility and creativity. It is marvelous. Out of the numerous wonderful pieces of art abounding on all available surfaces, my favorite so far is a photograph her son took of a tree, which immediately echoed Georgia O'Keeffe's Lawrence Tree painting for me.

We decided to see if some pizza delivery guys were up to braving the weather, as I refused to let her cook after being so kind to offer me a place to stay for the evening. Pizza guys are much more reliable than the post office – rain nor sleet nor snow will stop them from delivering your Caesar salad and pizza.

So, after eating and talking, and more talking, it was almost 11 o'clock, and definitely past our bedtimes. It was one of those exceedingly rare and precious moments when souls meet. One of the moments that not only makes a life worth living, it makes a life.

So much for not being too talkative.

After a three hour nap, I snuck out of the house. There really isn't much much traffic at 2:30 am on a Wednesday morning following a blizzard, in case you were wondering.

Halfway to work, I realized that in my attempt to get out as quickly and quietly as possible, I had left my wallet on the bedside table...

No comments: