Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Burn, Baby, Burn

I am on a roll this month. Obviously, I have been spending far too much time reading ridiculous things and not enough time outdoors.

I saw this picture, and the scale of the teeny, tiny cows, which I would like to point out, are NOT small animals, just freaked me out. I hope that this link stays active for you to check it out...

It seems that a 2,000 TON pile of manure has been burning in Nebraska for MONTHS. It is 100 feet in length, 30 feet high and 50 feet wide. The farmer's stock (12,00 cows) produce 54 TONS of manure every 24 hours.

Firefighters are not able to douse the mountain with water because of the problems with run-off, and spreading the pile out only made the fire break out in other areas as the core is so hot it continually re-ignites the pile. Sounds to me like the beginnings of a great model volcano, if they could only get it to erupt, or at least ooze, but I suspect the latter is not a problem currently.


Apparently, manure blazes are somewhat common. In Washington state, a three acre manure lagoon (sounds like a vacation destination!) was burning out of control and the officials finally smothered the flames...by adding another layer of manure.

No comments: