Monday, March 28, 2005

News You May Have Missed – Auld Lang Syne for the Oldest Malt in Scotland

The Chep Lap Kok airport in Hong Kong has purchased the last remaining bottle of the world's oldest single malt whisky.

It is a bottle of Glenfiddich Rare Collection 1937, which has been maturing for 64 years before it was bottled. Only 61 bottles were produced from the cask.

The taste is described as “chocolate and treacle”. Being an aficionado of the single malts (particularly Glenrothes and Cardhu if anyone wants to send me a present), I have to say I look mostly for a nice oaky, delicate hint of peat, dusty light smoke, toffeeish malt.

I know I don't get enough treacle on a day-to-day basis. I had to look up treacle just to be sure, and here is the definition:

A medicinal compound formerly used as an antidote for poison ; molasses.

The previous 60 bottles were sold directly by the distillery in the $19,000 range. This remaining bottle is expected to sell for significantly more. But, it might be cheap as far as poison antidotes go. Maybe someone in the Australian outback will buy it as an emergency snakebite remedy. Just a thought.

No comments: