Friday, March 04, 2005

A Cosmopolitan Evening

I met H__ at Sergio's (yes, Sergio's again – I should get a frequent diner's card) for a late afternoon lunch. Immediately upon her arrival, she validated my haircut, so I was feeling pretty good. We had a marvelous meal, and TWO pots of the Brazilian coffee. It is divine. What was even more pleasant than the food and the lovely atmosphere, was our conversation. What a lovely gift people can be...

After lunch I had to get downtown to attend the opening of the 14th Street Gallery. The works of Michael Castellana were featured. He is a great painter to be sure – in fact, one of his works I even contemplated purchasing...it was ripped metal and painting and photography and pasted in ransom note letters forming a TS Eliot quote all wrapped up into one visually mesmerizing package. Great work. But his real specialty, at least at this show, were his lead street signs. They are made to the DoT's specifications, but done up in very heavy lead. They are totally cool. I think everyone could use a big STOP sign for their office, for those moments of complete compulsion...

Besides the great gallery and art, Heather and I seized a moment to sneak away to the bar next door (really so she could smoke) and we could visit for a few moments. She also approved of my haircut (which I have to admit taking much much longer than I have ever done on “styling” ) calling it “sexy”.

That'll work.

No comments: