Saturday, March 05, 2005

Rivers & Tides

I decided to give documentaries another chance, and picked up Rivers and Tides: Working With Time which is about one of my favorite artists, Andy Goldsworthy (who is also Scottish, which earns yet another plus).

The film is advertised as having received 10 four star reviews including reviews from the New York Times, The LA Times, the ubiquitous Roger Ebert and Film Threat. Having the Russian Ark debacle so clearly in my mind made me a bit hesitant to commit, but I went for it.

Caveats not withstanding, I had high hopes for this film, because the prospect of watching Goldsworthy create his amazing, ephemeral works would be fascinating. And this time I was not disappointed. There are several instances where you are with him as he is working, delicately, in very cold temperatures, or simply so near completion, and gravity or wind demolishes everything in a moment. His reactions are a study in Zen understanding and very inspirational. After watching this, I just wished I lived in his little village and could run into him a pub sometime...

However, the DVD also advertises that if features 7 never-before seen short films which is an incredibly overblown and overstated way of saying "deleted scenes", which is all they are. Not that they aren't worth watching as well, but they are in no way "short films".

No comments: